        We've recently added a model 270 at V5R1 to our mix of AS/400s.  The
other 400s are an S30 and an S10 both using V4R5.  I've been ftping files
from the V4R5 machines to the V5R1 machines at abysmal rates around 55-65
Kbytes/sec.  These machines are using 100Mbit network cards and are on the
same network switch.  I started a comm trace on the V5R1 machine to see if I
could see anything in the trace that would account for the slow speed.  As
soon as I started the trace, the transfer rates went to 1400-1800
Kbytes/sec.  When I stop and delete the trace, the rates go back to 55-65
Kbytes/sec.
        This morning I decide to test a PC to V5R1 file transfer.  The PC is
not on the same switch.  Without an active comm trace, the speed was 310
Kbytes/sec.  With an active trace, the rate was 730 Kbytes/sec.
        This is so bizarre.  It seems as though V5R1 ftp needs an audience
to perform better.  Is this happening to anyone else?

Guy Murphy
murphyfa@uiuc.edu
UDIS at the University of Illinois
217-333-8670