Sorry, Joel, no offense was intended.

The ONLY part of your approach I was referring to was your daily ending and
restarting the server to clean up activation groups, threads, etc.  I certainly
didn't mean to imply that this is wrong; only that it isn't necessarily
required.  Nathan, in support of his belief that CGI does not scale well,
suggested that since you were doing it once a day, busier sites would therefore,
have to do so even more often.  I was saying, "not necessarily so."

I should have made it more clear that I was referring only to the daily ending
and restarting of the server; not your entire approach, which is sound and has
worked well for you.

The difficulty I perceived you had was when you said "2) Originally I was having
a problem where the 400 was creating too many server instances to keep up with
demand.  Even though I set the limits at server start-up, by the end of the day
they would still be maxed."  For some reason, you were not able to throttle the
server.  Maybe this was a server bug?  In any case, it was a difficulty for you
at the time.  No judgment was implied.

With your current 270, it is no longer a problem.  With the 170, if the server
had been throttled, you might not have had to end and restart it every day, at
least not for that reason.

With the server properly throttled and CGI programs well written, no one should
have to end and restart the server daily for the purpose of cleaning up threads,
activation groups, etc.  For other reasons?  Individual choice.  Common
practice?  Perhaps.  Any harm done?  Other than the site being unavailable for a
short time, no.  Absolutely necessary?  No.  Required more often for busier
sites?  No.

Again, I apologize for unintentionally offending you.

Mel Rothman
CGIDEV2 Author
IBM eServer iSeries Custom Technology Center (iCTC)
Rochester, Minnesota