From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@bvstools.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 9:04 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: NICs - bottleneck (was Re: Dropping the AS/400 as a Web
servi ng platform)

Mike, what's the difference is between a $15-$30 NIC and a
$1800 NIC?

Pick out two nics, price them, then tell me what makes one
more expensive than the other.  What makes one "bargain
basement" and the other "high quality"?  Is this mostly
perceived because of the price?  Is it
tariffs/shipping/manufacturing costs/etc?  Or is it actual
quality.

Do the terms "high quality" and "expensive" automatically go
together?  Sure, to a point (and to a certain point of
view).  But we're way past that point.  Memory is less
expensive now, by over 200% from a few months ago?  Is it
any less high quality?

Brad

Bradley V. Stone
BVS.Tools