Dennis,

There are a few options, a lot depends on what you are trying to do and what
you are trying to parse. You might look at  www.alphaworks.ibm.com and get
their procedural parser. That parser is somewhat dated and based on an older
version of the Xerces c++ parser. Alternatively, you could use a Java-based
solution. There are a lot to choose from, again a lot depends on the level of
support, speed, etc. required by your application.  Xerces is the most popular
and is has the latest support. You can find out more at xml.apache.org.  Not
sure how easy it is to work with Java from Cobol, but from RPGIV it is pretty
easy,
especially if you are on V5R1.

Because Xerces is the Swiss Army knife of parsers, you pay more in resources
and complexity. Other options are JDOM, which is fairly new and not yet
complete,
AElfred, which is fast but not complete, and XML4J, which is IBM's version of
Xerces.
There are a lot of other parsers that fit niche needs. Some are not being
supported
so be careful.

David Morris

>>> DNel3@OLDMUTUAL.com 09/26/01 07:56AM >>>
[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a no charge XML parser which can be used from
within a Cobol program on the AS/400?

Possibly via MQ-series?

We are on v4r5.

Thanks