From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Nathan M. Andelin
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 5:57 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Creating Reports?

> Another scenario a request was made for sales reports
> to be distributed to representatives nationally.
> RPG programs produced the reports within the application,
> however, using Joe Pluta's CPYSPLFPDF (An excellent tool)
> to generate PDF files which were then emailed accordingly.

I've been thinking about spool files recently.  I've also been thinking
about the OS/400 utilities we use to work with and manage them (WRKOUTQ,
WRKSPLF, and more recently, Operations Navigator).

In one way we take the OS/400 utilities for granted, because a lot of PC
based report tools don't offer anything comparable to output queues
(although some do).  On the other hand, people are still building products
and deploying solutions to extend them.  I was doing some research recently
and came up with the following generalized list:

Spool-To-PDF
Spool-To-Email
Spool-To-HTML
Spool-To-XML
Spool-To-Excel
Spool-To-Optical-Library
Spool-To-FTP
Spool-To-Lotus-Domino
Spool-Add-Overlay-To-AFP-Device

you get the drift.

Is there some utility that combines it all into one?

Thanks,

Nathan.