From: Wills, Mike N. (TC) [mailto:MNWills@taylorcorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 10:52 AM
To: 'midrange-l@midrange.com'
Subject: Break up spool file based on information within

I have an interesting request, and I am not sure of the best way to do this.

Brief History:
We use a purchased product for our accounting systems. One of the reports in
this software creates a report that we need to break up for distribution to
other people. We don't want them to see everything, just the part that they
are supposed to see. The report is laid out that there is a definite spot
where you can tell where to break it apart. However, we are currently doing
this manually.

My questions:
What I want to know is if anyone knows of a easy way to break this spool
file apart automatically, without purchased products? We are willing to
write a program to duplicate what the report does, in order to break this
apart. But I am wondering if a program could be written to read through the
report and copy the parts that we want out of the created spool file. We do
have Brad's SPLTOOL to use (because these will be created into PDF files).

Could this be done? Copy the spool file to a physical file, start reading
though it. Since I know what positions to look at use that in combination of
the page number and break it apart that way using SPLTOOL? Any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice...

Mike Wills