                            S T R A T F O R

                    THE GLOBAL INTELLIGENCE COMPANY

                        http://www.stratfor.com

Who is the DFLP?

1515 GMT, 010911

The Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) has
reportedly claimed responsibility for the attacks on the World
Trade Center. This report, fromm a television station in Abu
Dhabi, in unconfirmed.

The DFLP was formed in 1969 with an estimated membership of 500.
It was originally based in Syria, but the location of its current
headquarters are unknown. The DFLP receives financial and
military aid from Syria and Libya. It operates in Syria, Lebanon,
Israel and the occupied territories. Its leader is Naif Hawatmeh,
according to Israeli-based Interdisciplinary Center.

The group was largely dormant from 1988 until this summer, when
it claimed responsibility for an Aug. 25 attack against an
Israeli military post in the Gaza Strip that left three Israeli
soldiers dead. This attack was the first instance of Palestinians
successfully using conventional military-style tactics.

Before this year, DFLP operations have always taken place either
inside Israel or the West Bank and Gaza. Typical acts include
minor bombings and grenade attacks, as well as operations to
seize hostages and attempts to negotiate the return of Israeli-
held Palestinian prisoners.

The group split from the Palestinian Front for the Liberation of
Palestine (PFLP) years ago, but reconciled with the PFLP - and
with Palestinian Authority leader Yasser Arafat - in August 1999.

The attacks differ significantly from the DFLP's previous methods
of operation. Likewise, the resources and infrastructure
necessary for such attacks are far beyond the group's traditional
means. Either the DFLP's claims are spurious, or it has joined
forces with other groups.

Austin Office
700 Lavaca, Suite 405
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: 512-744-4300
http://www.stratfor.com/media

Understand the globe, with intelligence.

Copyright 2001, Strategic Forecasting, LLC