This was an incredibly detailed and coordinated attack.  Multiple airplanes
were hijacked, all of which were trans-continental planes, flying from the
east coast to the west coast.  These were obviously carefully selected
because of the amount of fuel on board; a fully loaded 767 is an incredible
source of destruction.  Fuel-air bombs are the most powerful non-nuclear
explosives ever developed, and a plane is a pretty good substitute.

Don't discount the intelligence, either.  If this were indeed some sort of
symbolic strike against government centers, I'll bet that the White House
was one of the targets.  The fact that it wasn't hit indicates to me that
the intelligence community did some of its job.  It's possible, even
probable, that they underestimated the scope of the attack; the scale is
certainly unprecedented.  And probably nobody thought anyone would actually
attack this many civilians without warning.

There were reports that Usama bin Ladin made threats roughly three weeks ago
to attack the U.S. on an unprecendented scale (words to that effect), and it
seem he's done just that.  What possible good can this do to the political
groups behind it?  What can it do for his cause, whatever it may be?  This
made damned sure that world sentiment is solidly against them, while at the
same time it has given the U.S. all but carte blanche to do to bin Ladin
whatever they deem necessary.  I think that at this point, the U.S. would
probably be able to employ tactical nuclear weapons without fear of serious
international condemnation.

To that end, yes, it is time to put up or shut up.  This is certainly a
destablizing act.  At the same time, while this tragedy is almost
incomprehensible in scope, I believe you'll see that it does little to deter
the American spirit.  Yes, we'll have some issues and some problems, endless
debate and recrimination, but that's part of our social process.  More
importantly thought, even as we speak hundreds of Americans are queueing up
to give blood at the New York hospital that is in the midst of the worst of
the carnage.  Firefighters who baerly escaped the collapse of the towers
(some of whom whose partners did not escape) are regrouping to once again go
in, and go in again, and again, as long as necessary.  People are already
volunteering to help coordinate efforts to reunite families and route
information to loved ones, even if it is so horribly difficult to bear that
news.

We are a nation that has survived tragedies, both internal and external, and
each one has brought us a little closer as we realize that our sometimes
petty differences pale in comparison to the dangers we all face from
extremist groups throughout the world.  We are not a perfect nation, by any
means, but we are the example, the beacon that draws freedom loving people
from around the world.  Unfortunately that same beacon can attract poisonous
creatures; I only hope that those creatures can be stopped from hurting more
innocent civilians.

I pray for the survivors and the lost, and for their friends and families.
I am going to go hug my wife and wait for my daughter to come home from
school.

My thoughts with you all.

Joe