Hello John,
I am happily using a freeware tool called VNC from AT&T Labs in UK, they give
it away for free. It works perfectly for me with W9x, WinNT, W2K and Macs (!),
the Linux part should work as well, but I didn't need it so far, so I did not
test it.
You have to do the modem/network part yourself and it surely is not perfect, but
for the most things I have been using PC Anywhere for, it is a good substitute.
Advantages:
- no drivers/vxd's and so on installed.
- entire program fits on one floppy (!)
- it is cheap

Did you ever try to install, lets say a simple thing like service pack 6a to a
NT
Workstation running PCAnywhere ? Recommended procedure from Symantec
is to completely uninstall the product and then do the SP6 install, then go back
to installimg the product again. Come on , what a sh... !
This is because PCAnywhere uses its own VGA drivers, mouse drivers,
keyboard drivers and so on ...

I like to keep it simple , so I like VNC.

Regards from germany, Philipp Rusch