>> Is there any way except DDS to put an alias on a field?

>You can use SQL. The "LABEL ON" statement will
>do what you're after. ie:
>
>label on MyTable(
>    col01 is 'column_one',
>    col02 is 'column_two',
>    col03 is 'column_three')

I tried that, but it appears to only change the column heading, not add an
alias.

label on column master.pnpa is 'PRIMARY_NPA'
  LABEL ON for MASTER in BUCK completed.
select primary_npa from master
  Column PRIMARY_NPA not in specified tables.
dspffd master
           Data        Field  Buffer    Buffer        Field    Column
Field      Type       Length  Length  Position        Usage    Heading
PNPA       ZONED        5  0       5         1        Both     PRIMARY_NPA
  Field text  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :  NPA-

After seeing both answers, I'm sure I did a poor job of explaining what I'm
after.  In DDS, there's a keyword called ALIAS.   It adds another name (IBM
call it the alternative name.)  This alternative name is not accessible from
RPG, but it is accessible from COBOL, PL/I and SQL.

The DDS specs are created by a CASE tool called Cool2:E (formerly Synon.)
The CASE tool is great, but we want to write some stored procedures and the
SQL guys are balking at the Ugly generated field names; names that look like
this: B1LWNB, B1EJCF, B1EKCF, B1N4CD...  I can easily write a program to
update the generated DDS, add ALIAS to each field and CHGPF each file, but I
was hoping for a way to do that without having to tinker with the DDS.

Buck