>> how can I join two CL variables together trimming out the extra spaces? I
would like to avoid trimming all
> > the field sizes down if possible.

like this? exuse the hardcode part, and use just variables. I'm building a
pdf file name using &paid is unique to
the customer requesting, and timestamp and '.pdf'. If you have garbage in
the variables this won't work-if blanks, no problem.
 CHGVAR     VAR(&URL) VALUE('/bncf/' *TCAT &PAID *TCAT &TIME *TCAT '.pdf')
jim