Joe,

This got me curious about how much journaling slows down processing.

I've been hearing for a while that journaling no longer is a big impact.
Well, I ran a test like the one you did only both programs used native I/O
and the variable was one file was journaled and the other not.

To write 100,000 records without journaling was about 2 minutes.
To write 100,000 records with journaling was about 24 minutes.

Ftestfile  uf a e           k disk    rename(testfile:format)
Di                s             10u 0
C                   for       i = 1 by 1 to 100000
C                   eval      keyfld = i
C                   time                    timfld
C                   eval      dscfld = 'RPG native I/O'
C                   write     format
C                   endfor
C                   eval      *inlr = *on

CREATE TABLE TESTFILE
        (KEYFLD INT NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
         DSCFLD CHARACTER ( 50) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
       TIMFLD TIMESTAMP NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
         PRIMARY KEY (KEYFLD))

Phil