Steve,

 I make extensive use of SSL through firewalls (mostly Cisco PIX). I
have never opened the 847x ports for the reasons you specified.  My main
complaint has been that once you import the system encryption key (and
of course have the CA SSL componant installed on the windoze box in
question) you MUST see the lock on the system (if not, open properties
on it and do TWO things: Select USE SSL and for where to look up remote
port, use STANDARD (DOing this means 449 does not need to be open in the
firewall). Then close ops nav completely and re-open.  It will work
after that.  I have noticed the 8476 port attempt occasionally but when
that happens I have determined that CA has 'forgotten' to use SSL. In
that case reselect the option for SSL (as before), close Ops Nav again,
and restart it.  Even if the lock is showing sometimes it just forgets.
The same behaviour is exibited in V5R1 with current service packs.

 Note that if you are using Management Central you may also want port
5566 open.

 - Larry