  • Subject: Re: RE: RE: Atlas Shrugged: Ayn Rynd
  • From: thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 3 Aug 2001 18:55:58 -0700

On Thu, 02 August 2001, "Mike Naughton" wrote:

> I expect that you would expect everyone else to feel the same about having
> to pay for something that benefits you.
>
> I guess I have to say that I feel differently. Further, IMHO if you are
> lucky enough to get through your entire life without ever having occasion
> to regret or rethink this attitude, then you will be a lucky person indeed.
>

> MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com writes:
> >It really burns me that I *MUST* pay
> >for somebody else's benefit.

Definitely agreed.

o I don't like paying for unemployment.
o I have one daughter; I don't like paying as much for school support as
someone with two kids. Probably paying more because I have fewer exemptions.
o I don't like paying higher prices for goods that are advertised because I'm
not as swayed by advertising.
o I never drive on I-97.
o I very rarely drink any alcohol and certainly never drive after drinking, so
I get burned when I take driver's license tests that include half a dozen
questions on legal blood-alcohol limits, penalties for DUI, etc. They don't
apply to ME, so why should I have to answer?
o My house has never burned down; what's this "fire insurance" stuff?
o Why are they charging ME more for electricity?
o I'm not going to be hit by a car next week and have to draw off SSI. Why do
they make ME pay?

Ah, well.

Tom Liotta

--