  • Subject: Re(2): AS/400/Olden days
  • From: "Dave Willenborg" <dwillenborg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:26:25 -0600

After reading this message, I started thinking about the good old days.
I graduated from Technical school in August 1964 after learning
programming on an IBM 1620 using SPS. I went to work for a county
government that had installed an IBM 1401 with 1,400 bytes of main memory,
card reader/punch, 2 IBM 720 tape drives and a 1403 printer. I was paid
the amazing salary of $468.50 per month.

After 1 year I resigned and went to work for a company that was installing
an IBM 360 model 20 using TOS (tape operating system) and coding in RPG.
They paid me $600 per month. Not bad for a 23 year programmer at that time.

AHHHH  the good old days.

Dave Willenborg
MIS  Manager
J C Robinson Seed Company