  • Subject: RE: IBM getting rid of RPG
  • From: "Reeve Fritchman" <reeve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:22:21 -0400

IBM's interactive penalty may be an example of "It hurts me more than it
hurts you."

This comes back to IBM's need to prove that iSeries is a real server.  All
those HP and Compaq server farms are marketing opportunities but the iSeries
is still not considered to be a Plug-N-Play replacement for Wintel boxes.
This all comes back to applications: when IBM can point to hundreds of true
client-server applications available on iSeries, it will be tough to dismiss
the iSeries as a green-screen machine.  On the contrary, IBM will point out
how versatile the iSeries is with its ability to run both client-server and
green-screen environments (albeit with a green-screen penalty).

From a tactical standpoint, IBM probably considers a large portion of the
iSeries install base (particularly those site with traditional
manufacturing/distribution ERP packages) vulnerable to displacement by
Wintel client-server solutions.  With or without WebFacing, you're not going
to rewrite a traditional green-screen application in a few weeks or even a
few months; such a transition will not be like going to the S/36 environment
on the AS/400.  So IBM's task is to persuade several hundred thousand
installations that true server technology is the way to go.  The market for
green-screen applications pales in comparison to the client-server
applications market.

Yes, IBM's making you pay for interactive but look at what you get for free
with V5R1 and WDT/400: a bunch of languages and a package of great tools.
IBM doesn't give labor-intensive stuff away, so there's a message here.  We
just have to figure out what it is!