  • Subject: Re: Sircam Virus and AS/400
  • From: Chuck Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:20:59 -0500

You'd think, but check this out from a friend...

Chuck

<Some spammer out there was using our AS/400 40S mail server. For about 3 weeks
our CPU was pegged at 100+ percent.
Could not figure it out. I did not realize this but our 40S could be used to
relay E-Mail with out authentication. I tried it myself. I sent an E-Mail to one
of my outside accounts through our 40S without user name and password. It took
it
and sent it to my outside account. A slut server!  Someone out on the Internet
was sending probably thousands of spam e-mails using our server. I talked to
XXXXXX (our software support people)  until they were about ready to send me a
bill. They could not figure it out. At the end of our conversation, he suggested
that someone was using our server on the Internet. I said I did not think that
was possible with out authentication. He said it was and that I needed PTF's and
configuration to shut it down. I downloaded the PTF's and went through the 10
pages on instructions. My CPU usage went from 100+ percent to 7 percent(normal).
UNBELIEVABLE!!! Turns out that IBM did not have a fix for this until last April.
FURTHERMORE, someone reported our 40S as a spam server to www.mail-abuse.org and
they put us on their spam server list. Lots of ISP's use this list to not accept
E-Mail from spam servers. After I fixed our 40S, I was testing it with 2 of my
outside accounts and my mail was being returned because my ISP's use this list.
had to go to www.mail-abuse.org and fill out a form saying
that our server had been fixed, they then test it and if it works, then  they
will take your server off the list. This took about 2 hours. That was one hell
of
a day. >