  • Subject: Re: joblog outq management (was AW: Hiding spoolfiles from outq x)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:32:17 EDT

Now that David says the archives are up again, you should try to access them
because there has been a lot of discussion of related topics, but let me
address the desired job log topic since we have been into this where I work.

We have applications that try to do their own error resolution.
Ideally we want errors recovered in a graceful way that will not burden the
end users with having to be MIS experts to cope with error messages.
This means that IBM 400 OS does not recognize as a problem worthy of a job
log, a problem that the application saw but perhaps did not handle as
gracefully as we MIS would desire, so we need to give the task a human
helping hand to ensure the generation of a joblog.

When a person signs off with the default SIGNOFF *NOLIST there will be no job
log period.  When a job is killed or abnormally aborted, there will be a job
log for sure, but the amount of useful information in there will depend on
its *JOBD or CHGJOB when se discover that there is a problem.

We have a number of tasks with intermittent troubles for which we want a
detailed job log of both instances where the tasks had no troubles & when the
troubles occurred so we can analyse the differences.  I changed the *JOBD on
the people who have these intermittent troubles, but I have been unable to
persuade them to take the menu option that I added to their menus that have
SIGNOFF *LIST, so I told management that until such time as the victims of
these intermittent troubles can take the trouble to take the other signoff
menu option that captures evidence on their session, then I do not have
sufficient information to solve the problem.

In my experience it is only MIS people & power users who are able to remember
to use the universal F1 help key or the SIGNOFF *LIST option, or when we want
a job log on a JOBQ job, before running it to change our JOBD to have our
JOBQ output on hold, then after launching it to JOBQ go into our JOBQ jobs &
change that one with F10 second screen to *SECLVL (for look up convenience)
and LOG *YES, then release it, then change our JOBD back to automatically run
anything we put on JOBQ.

Another topic you might address is if the users normally are sendiing their
output to a specific outq, instead of them accessing their data via WRKSPLF,
do it via WRKOUTQ that outq ... we have outqs clustered by department, so the
people see the work that their department is doing.

If you are in WRKSPLF or WRKOUTQ or a number of other screens & you explore
the F24 options like F21-basic vs. the alternatives, the options associated
with the other commands, the appearance of the screens, the options you can
take when changing your spool entries, they are quite different & can take
getting used to, which is why I encourage my users to try F21-all options to
see which they personally are most comfortable with.

Some of my users do F21 switches in the middle of access because they prefer
basic for some stuff & intermediate for others.  Think F10 F11 exploring
what's what on your spool ... we heavily repopulate some of the fields for
clarity of what's what ... there's also F22 & which printer you interested in
with 8 to see where my printouts are in sequence with respect to everyone
else's & F11 to see how many pages are ahead of mine.  Also ease of selecting
which printer or outq to change a report to, or selecting a different user
reports or outq to view.

My thinking is that perhaps you want to review the JOBD of job logs & see if
they can be made OUTPTY-9 which means at the bottom of the pile of "reports"

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838