  • Subject: Re: The economy and developers
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:32:15 EDT

The computer professional skill sets needed are like a universe of different
skill sets in which it is difficult for someone with one skill set to switch
from a market that has a glut of talent to one that has a glut of jobs, let
alone recognize that those distinctions are out there.

This is part of the Microsoft/Oracle/etc. mantra that they are the only way
to fly & the mainframe is dead ... if the mainframe dies it will be because
no one wants to work on it, but the mantra would have yuu believe it is about
to die for other reasons.

Currently there is a glut of hungry ERP developers because prior to the dot
com collapse there was an ERP collapse because the ERP software houses had a
marketing model that was incompatible with their Y2K strategy, so they set
themselves up for a gigantic fall, which dragged with it the 3rd party
developers in the ERP world.

If you look at the sales figures of IBM eServers, it might be extremely
useful to know what proportion are to old customers doing upgrades from
earler forefathers of the rebranded & what proportion is to new customers who
undoubtedly will need 400 talent or the equivalent, fueling another glut of
job openings for qualified 400 people that are just not out there, because
IBM is not in the business of offering free education to the unemployed dot
com workers how to re-engineer their skills for the 400 world.

I guess what we need is some kind of skill set market need shift insurance
... after working decades in the 400 world, it might die & I will need to
relearn computers into perhaps the Linux world, but I can't predict which
world I will need to relearn, and when I find out I might be unemployed, so
time to cash in my skill set insurance on education into whatever is now the
hot area.