  • Subject: Re: QNTC userid/password change?
  • From: "Ed Fishel" <edfishel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:43:45 -0500

Tom,

>>No, I'm saying that if you run the APIs to generate and release profiles
handles over and over long enough, eventually new handles simply won't be
generated. Whatever gets returned simply won't work as a profile handle. I
don't think an error is generated until the handle is used and I haven't
heard of anything that fixes it other than an IPL.<<

I think that you may have confused profile handles and profile tokens. On
the other hand you may have noticed an application with a bug that caused
it to not release all of the profile handles it generated.

A profile handle is a job scoped resource. In V4R5 a single job can create
up to 23,295 profile handles; after that, the space to store them is full,
message CPF22E6 is sent to the application, and QSYGETPH stops generating
profile handles. A profile handle from one job cannot be used in another
job. An IPL is never required to generate more profile handles. A job that
does not release the profile handles that it generates will not have any
impact on the profile handles of any other job in the system. If a job
releases every profile handle that it generates then there is no limit to
the total number of profile handles that it can generate unless it tries to
generate more than 23,295 at one time.

A profile token is a system wide resource. In V4R5 the maximum number of
profile tokens that can be regenerated is approximately 2,000,000; after
that, the space to store them is full and message CPF4AAA is sent to the
application. When the space is full, no more profile tokens can be
generated until one is removed. A profile token from one job can be passed
to another job and used there.

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@US.IBM.COM