Steve,

First thing you want to do is to find out if it's the PC or the AS/400 that's
causing
the problem.  From the PC you are trying to connect to the AS/400 from:

[Start][Run]telnet 172.xx.y.z 3005
press enter.  (you enter the telnet line in the run box).
Telnet window should come up.  If it connects you should see the server sitting
in the top/left hand corner.  If your AS/400 sends any data on connection you
should see that.
If it is not connecting you will get a windows error dialog saying it couldn't
connect
and why.
So now you should know which end is broken, the AS/400 or the PC.

Telnet can be used to connect to any port, not just telnet ports, and is great
for testing.
If you are adventurous and read really fast you can actually see web pages with
it,
though the syntax for the commands is a pain.

Incidently, it is perfect safe to give an 172.x.x.x number, that range is local
to your
network and can't be reached from the internet.

HTH,

Regards,

Jim Langston