  • Subject: Re: AS/400 and InfoPrint32 printer
  • From: "Paul Tykodi" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 18:59:59 -0400

Dear Antonio,

Some suggestions would be as follows:

Point 1:

The printer can be configured on your AS/400 as a *LAN 3812 model 1 device
(CRTDEVPRT) using either the *IBMPJLDRV system driver program (TCP/IP
reverse telnet - sockets printing protocol) or the *IBMSNMPDRV (TCP/IP
Simple Network Management Protocol for printers RFC 1759) system driver
program.

It can also be setup as a remote output queue (CRTOUTQ) and the AS/400 will
then use LPR to send the data to the printer. The instructions for creating
these device descriptions can be found on the IBM iSeries and AS/400
technical support web site (http://www.as400service.ibm.com) in the Software
Knowledge Base Under the Print category or in the AS/400 Printing V Redbook
available at (http://www.redbooks.ibm.com).

Point 2:

When you choose a particular input tray in your Windows print driver, the
driver sends a tray request to the printer using a special printer code
value. Normally if you have matched the Windows print driver to the target
printer, you don't need to know the printer code values. When you need to
customize a print driver (as in the case of the HP PCL compatible drivers on
your AS/400 to support your InfoPrint 32 printer), you typically need to
know the printer code values for the target printer. The way the Host Print
Transform feature of OS/400 works is that it maps a request for a source
drawer in your OS/400 printer file to a field in the Manufacturer Type and
Model print driver that you selected in your device description or output
queue configuration. The print driver tray selection fields for laser
printers usually include a default printer code command. These commands can
be edited via the Workstation Customization Object procedure as necessary.
The OS/400 Workstation Customization Object manual explains how to change
the default printer code values in an OS/400 based print driver to create
any type of OS/400 source drawer request to physical input tray on the
printer mapping that you need.

The InfoPrint 32 printer codes are as follows:

Tray 1          Printer Code is also one.
Tray 2          Printer Code is five.
Tray 3          Printer Code is seven.
Tray 4          Printer Code is eight.
Tray 5          Printer Code is nine.
Envelope Tray   Printer Code is six for automatic envelope feeder.

Point 3:

Besides PCL commands, which are used to construct the actual page to be
printed, there are PJL commands (Printer Job Language) which define the
default print environment for a particular job. They are always sent at the
beginning and ending of a spool file. The edge to edge feature is enabled
with one of these commands. The current print drivers on the AS/400 do not
leave you a field that is meant to hold PJL commands so it is very hard to
get the proper sequencing of PJL commands to occur by creating a Workstation
Customization Object. There are some good third party software products in
the marketplace that can help you to manage the inserting of PJL commands
into your non-IPDS data streams should you be interested in pursuing that
capability.

Good luck with your printer installation.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi