> >If you were writing an email to a specific person, Bob Q.
> >Gottalousyemailpackage, and you knew that his emailer could not deal with
> >HTML well and that your message would show up looking like the bottom of
> >birdcage and you sent it anyway, who's the idiot? You or Bob?
>
> I would do just have I have done here. If the purpose of the email was to
> express ideas, suggestions, etc, I would email him in text format (as I
> think most of my emails have been) telling him that there was a
> Notsolousyeofemailclient available for free (in case he didn't know) and
> suppling any pro and cons of using it.  I would feel this would be a
win-win
> for both of us, with neither being an idiot (unless he got mad or
insulting
> then he would be).  He would be free to do as he wished, no harm done.

I just want to reiterate, I was not refering to the specific you. I was
trying to deal with the general ("universal") you.

But you didn't answer the question. The question was, "If you knew that his
email couldn't deal with it and sent it anyway...?" That isn't saying that
this is what you do or did. That's the simple question.

> >Again, it seems like the confusion here is that you are confusing "the
> >industry at large" or "the world at large" with the real issue.
>
> Now I understand IBM decision to wait so long to be ready for win95, TCP,
> etc. We are not part of the world (industry), I keep forgetting.  We are
> midrange people. People that suggest things are idiots.  We don't use
tools
> that others use.
>
> I wouldn't be suprised to find that most of the audience here is not so
out
> of sync with the rest of the world.  I would imagine that most can handle
> html email. As a matter of fact, it could be missing it's audience because
> of the text only rule? Who knows.
>
> I'm real sorry that the digest can't handle html well, others can.

And this was just a load. I tell you what, since you are a programmer and
have all the money and time, why don't you volunteer to write the code for
David to deal with the HTML or buy him some new software.

When you get done, you can code a solution for the guys who might want to
telnet in to pick up their email using some old trusted solution.

Because what this issue is about is people having the sense to deal
appropriately with the technology that is in place. I don't get why that is
so tough to see. You were not being called an idiot. I actually went out of
my way (twice now) to point out that this wasn't what was going on.

But you don't seem to grasp the real issue. Use of this list is accessing
David's services. We are in "his living room." He has established a set of
guidelines. He does so to accomodate the people that he provides his
services for. When you pop up and pretend like you are the first guy to
think of HTML email, you insult the thought and effort that others who have
considered this have put into it. You haven't volunteered to deal with it,
so you apparently feel like now that you have thought it out it is up to
others to implement your vision.

So try to get a grasp on the real issue here. If you want to change, listen
to the reason others don't want to and either come up with a solution that
David is willing to implement or clam up.