  • Subject: Re: V5R1 DST passwords
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:11:31 -0700

Hi Tom,

Actually, I agree with you that it must be technically possible. After all,
doesn't DST have complete access to all disk space?  I can also see that it
would be better to have a known upon place for the system values that both
DST and OS/400 can easily access.

Still, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.  Since DST is
meant to be independent of any OS, I can see why they wouldn't want to do
that -- it makes it dependent on OS/400.  Which makes me wonder what other
OS DST is already working with, or meant to work with in the future. AIX?
Linux?

By turning it around, OS/400 has the _option_ of being dependent upon DST,
which I would assume is more to the liking of the DST and OS/400 designers.
And you're right any explanation is bound to be fascinating.

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice
909 425-0196 fax

>From: <thomas@inorbit.com>
>>On Tue, 10 July 2001, "Peter Dow" wrote:

>> Why not avoid the issue and do it the other way around? Have a set of
>> password rules (that's what we're talking about, right?) defined in DST,
>> then have a new system value that says "Use DST password rules?
*YES|*NO".
>> If *NO, the current password rules as defined in the current system
values
>> are used. If *YES, similar rules defined somewhere in DST are used.

> This of course is where it would lead eventually, but I was really only
looking for a definitive "why isn't it even possible?" answer. As it stands,
password rules are available after OS/400 is loaded; so Chris' question
about the reverse-post is technically answered 'yes' -- you'd have to start
OS/400 at least once before any changes you made could be posted for DST to
access.

> It's just that after almost 30 years of programming I can't accept that
DST and OS/400 cannot communicate values in some meaningful way, most likely
by placing values in a mutually agreed upon location and a mutually agreed
upon format (i.e., interface). Or more accurately, I can't accept it without
some significant explanation. If it truly isn't possible, I can't imagine
the explanation not being fascinating.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com