  • Subject: Re: Free OS/400
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 23:44:18 -0700

It's funny, I don't remember any of the Windows ads, but I do remember the
OS/2 ads.

Actually, I just had a thought that maybe Bill is even more clever than I
thought. First, he managed to get PC manufacturers to include DOS on every
machine they sold. So right away you've got an uphill battle to convince
management that something that's "free" should be replaced with something
that costs $.  Then comes the even sneakier part. It doesn't quite work. Is
it a bug, or did I just do something wrong? What about all those other
people that use it? They got it to work didn't they? It must be me. No, no
way. That's obviously a bug. Now all I have to do is convince management...

Or maybe it's simply the philosophy (which I've heard attributed to the
Chinese) that you should not attain perfection -- there should be a few bugs
for others to find so they won't feel so bad about you developing such a
perfect product. I think the original scenario was newspaper editors leaving
in a few typos or grammatical errors...

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice