  • Subject: RE: Free OS/400
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:26:37 -0400

Interesting thread.

IMHO, the iNation has a lot more to do with the future success of the
iSeries than a lot of people want to believe.

I was told that one of the difficulties getting the iNation approved by the
Server Group is exactly what a lot of people have said here.  There is a
huge movement within IBM, starting with Mr. Palmisano (who BTW runs the
day-to-day operations, not Mr. Gerstner).  That movement believes that
hardware will become a commodity, software will be free, and IBM will make
their shareholders happy by making a killing on services.  Mr. Palimisano
has been in the 400 Division, but he was in charge of the Global Services
Group, before he took over the reins as COO.  He made it a "star" and that
has done a lot for his "stellar" rise towards the top of IBM.  Mr. Gerstner
recently identified him as the "emerging leader" to take over for him as
CEO, when he retires soon.

So I was told, in effect, that the iSeries is an island within the "Deep
Blue" sea of openness.  The iSeries is the only all-IBM solution that IBM
offers.  You'd think that would be considered a huge advantage to the
iSeries, but evidently it isn't an advantage, at all, in some people's eyes.

(And when you're talking about IBM's strategy, the first thing you have to
start with the idea that there is ***no one single strategy***, though they
might try to present it as if there was.)

The key, to me anyway, is that the iNation _did_ get approved, and it does
exist (even if, at times, it seems to exist in name only).  Given the state
of affairs within IBM, that seems pretty huge to me.

The other thing I wonder about is what Don was asking a while back:  what's
up with this "OS/4I"?  I'd have no way of knowing, but I wonder if is
related to Power4.  The next generation iSeries chip (which I guess the
pSeries is already using).  If so, that could be important, because IBM's
invested tons creating the Power4.  It would be good for OS/400 to be
intimately tied to the Power4, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

As far as your particular post below, Joe:  yep, yep, yep, and more
yep...:-)

But on the theory you have to crawl before you walk before you run:  I hope
we can at least start prototyping some solutions to the 5250 problem, prior
to trying to finalize any standardized application definition language.
IMHO, the experience gained would be an invaluable lesson, and would help in
flushing out an ADL.  Plus, I think your talking about major league support
issues if you want programmers (and their employers) to buy into this ADL.
IMHO, the resources to do this kind of operation would/will be a lot easier
to come by if there was some demonstrable success in tackling the 5250
problem.

But your idea sure has interesting prospects, and I'd sure be more
interested in committing to a project like this (if time and circumstances
down the road allow).

Thanks, all.

jt