  • Subject: Re: alternative to WebFacing
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:56:27 -0600

If something like Webfacing is home plate, then my ideas of Web applications
are far out in left field.  On the other hand, I don't want to discourage an
open source project.

The folks who saw the opportunity to provide tools to convert legacy
applications were way ahead of me.  Actually, the resulting applications
were far from my architectural ideal, so I steered clear of that
opportunity.

My priority is to NOT fetter the browser or any other Web client with the
constraints of DDS.  I believe the differences between Web clients and 5250
terminals will become even larger over time.  The programs that service Web
clients eventually need to offer greater flexibility and  independence than
that offered by the 5250 architecture.

The question is when to bite the bullet and build-in the necessary degree of
separation between client and server.  My belief is that the need is sooner
rather than later.  Actually the architectural ideal I try to adhere to is
to also separate server based business rules and DB I/O from server based UI
control.  In my opinion, that's the right level of modularity for
long-lasting, maintainable applications.

So, while others are making money or building solutions from transition
technologies like Webfacing, I want to cut a course that supports the
Model-View-Controller architecture.

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com