  • Subject: SQL Performance between platforms
  • From: "Chuck Morehead" <cbmorehead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:40:41 -0500

I am updating an Access database on a PC from a database on the AS/400.  I am using a VB program to perform the update.  The logic looks like this:

Select all records from the AS/400 table
Loop through the record set
   Select the corresponding record from the Access database
   If it does not exist Then
     Insert the record into the Access database
   Else
     If the data is different between the two records Then
        Update the Access database record
     End If
   End If
End Loop

The problem I have is the amount of time this takes to run (almost 370,000 records in the table).  I know that this is sloppy SQL style, but (as far as I know) I can only access one database (either AS/400 or Access) with each SQL statement.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to streamline such a process?

Thanks!

Chuck Morehead
Nokuse Consulting - Providing the highest value in Information Systems Services.
Native Bear Software - Providing Industry Specific Software Solutions to small- and medium-sized businesses.
http://www.nokuse.com