  • Subject: Re: iSeries 820 panel display info
  • From: "Bernd Schaefers" <bschaefers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:22:12 +0200

Hi Neil,
Thanks for asking back! I checked again.

I wrote:
"verify = full
the stuff you configure with CHGIPLA, but can now also change via panel"

This the info the CE gave me when I asked the same question. Not true, or
perhaps I misunderstood.
Here's the right stuff (hopefully):

IPL speed
IPL speed is a relative term. The length of time it takes your system to do
an initial program load (IPL) depends on many factors. A number of factors
can affect the length of an IPL:

  a.. The number of attached disk drives and other peripheral devices
  b.. The amount of main storage (memory)
  c.. The IPL options settings
  d.. The amount of cleanup work necessary from the last IPL termination
  e.. The IPL speed setting
The IPL speed setting determines the number of self-diagnostic tests that
run during an IPL. Therefore, it helps determine how fast your system gets
ready to do work for you.

The speed settings are as follows:

  F means fast override selected

  S means slow override selected

  V=F means use system-defined fast

  V=S means use system-defined slow

However, there are actually only two IPL speeds: Fast and Slow.

  Use F (fast) to set the IPL speed for routine work. This setting causes
the system to run only a minimum of self-diagnostic tests.

  Use S (slow) to set the IPL speed for special needs. When you select the
slow speed, the system runs a full set of self-diagnostic tests. Use it when
you do any of the following:

    a.. Change hardware
    b.. Suspect intermittent hardware failures
    c.. First install your system
  Use V=F or V=S to use the system-defined speed, either fast or slow.

You can use the control panel to set IPL speed (see Changing IPL speed).
However, if you change (override) the IPL speed from the control panel, it
affects only the next IPL. Subsequent IPLs use the system-defined speed.

Use the Change IPL Attributes (CHGIPLA) command to set the system-defined
speed.

The Power Down System (PWRDWNSYS) command can also affect IPL speed.

You must have authority to use both the CHGIPLA and PWRDWNSYS commands. If
you need authority, obtain it from your security officer. For more
information about the CHGIPLA and PWRDWNSYS commands, type the desired
command on an iSeries 400 command line. Press F4 (Prompt). Press F1 (Help)
to obtain cursor-sensitive help. This help shows detailed information about
the command, its parameters, and associated values.

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com