  • Subject: RE: i NATION ListServer Confusion/ownership
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:52:07 -0400

>There are one or two people who've carried the message to official IBM and
>it's up to us to help out.

>There are two major efforts that I think can be addressed:

>1) Actual solutions.  The recent discussion about user written commands is
>case in point.  <SNIP>

>2) Marketing.  Who is a good target for advertising monies?  What age?
>Occupation?  What do they want to hear?  Let's tell them!

>If we boot ideas around here or over at Ignite's list, we should then use
>the Feedback at iNation and TELL IBM.  They say that they're listening -
>let's overwhelm them with real ideas!
>Buck

I have visions of magazines getting 5,000 to 10,000 emails asking for
iSeries coverage in stead of 5 to 10 emails.

I have visions of IBM people getting 5,000 - 10,000 messages about our
views instead of 5 to 10 messages.

I have visions of 5,000 to 10,000 people voicing their opinions about
iSeries on NON-iSeries web sites (Linux sites, Windows sites, Slashdot,
etc)

What do you think the editorial staff or Web Admin's would be thinking
about the machine and it's followers?  If they get emails from the same 4
or 5 people all the time(like me and a few others) they can/will dismiss
us,  but if they get email from 5,000 different names,  they Can't write
them off as a couple of crazies.

Lets suppose for a moment that a NON-iSeries magazine or NON-iSeries
website has that kind of influx repeatedly (say over 6 months of
bombardment).  Everytime they run a story on a security hole, webservers,
viruses, on anything and everything,  they get hammered.   You will likely
see an expose type article asking IBM "Why are you not marketing the
iSeries ?"    They will ask, "If we get these many responses (and we
checked, the iSeries IS a great machine) and there is silence from you, why
are you not marketing it?  What's wrong with you?"

The market place will be using a line out of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance
Kid "Who Are Those Guys? "

Just a couple of thoughts from a radical underground iPatriot .  BTW, did
you notice that Patriot has the word RIOT in it?

John Carr

Places like this.

 http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1015.html?tag=mnc
What's the skinny? Feed me your latest rumor.
Email me right away at skinny@cnet.com with your industry rumors, amusing
anecdotes, and juicy tidbits about techno pooh-bahs. And don't worry: I'll
keep your identity a secret, though you'll always be a star in my book.
Send us an Email
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/contacts/business/
ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/filters/feedback/