Hi List!

Just preparing for the V5R1 upgrade and have come across page 45 of the
Memorandum to Users which states:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two Client Access products no longer supported

The Client Access for Windows 95/NT client (5763-XD1) and the Client Access
Enhanced Windows 3.1 (5763-XK1) client products have been removed from the
Client Access Family. All platforms supported by the 5763-XD1 product are
supported by iSeries Client Access Express for Windows (5722-XE1). You must
migrate Client Access for Windows 95 /NT clients to iSeries Client Access
Express
for Windows to connect workstations to an iSeries server operating at the
V5R1
level. There is no SNA support in 5722-XE1. Users who cannot move to TCP/IP
connectivity have no migration path. There is also no migration path for
workstations that use the Windows 3.x operating system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My question is do you REALLY need to ugrade the clients from CA95/NT to
Express.  IBM said that CA Express couldn't be used to connect to V3Rx
systems but it could - is it the same in this case.  I have plans for a
rollout of CAE to some 3000 CA95/NT users, but I'd really rather get V5R1 on
the host first, then organise the nationwide rollout.  I'm not overly
worried about whether or not IBM supports the CA95/NT to V5R1 connection,
I'm just worried whether or not it actually works.

Thanks to all,

Dwayne Lindner
Senior Network Analyst
Wesfarmers Rural Information Technology