  • Subject: RE: join logical keys by secondary file, any free way around this
  • From: "Mark A. Manske" <mmanske@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:01:01 -0500

Just an update, and a thank you for perspectives from outside the "cubicle".
Many good ideas, some not workable in the dynamic environment, and yes, sql
with an rpg app was very sweet indeed and did what I needed, but alas, we
are not purchasing that portion of the OS.  Since this will be a web app,
for
many customers and the data changes during the day, and we too are pressed
for
space, power, and money... this worked best for me in this situation - I
paint a
web page with the header data, user clicks on it to run the cgi pgm for the
detail
painting, which reads the detail file, writes it to a permanent file keyed
by date,
time(with mille/micro seconds all 12 positions - just in case) for the start
of the
look-up (so all detail has the same date/time stamp, then I followed the
rest of the
key in the order the customers wanted, next I setll by date, time, cust#,
order# and
read the "perm work file" as I do that, I delete the record, thus leaving me
a clean
file, save for communication hiccups, that will be cleaned up nightly for
any weary
records from the previous day.

Thank you again for all the ideas - this list has saved my back side many
times, and
made me look good to the powers to be.

It is so nice to have a form to turn to for help on a box that in the past
was something
you just did not discuss with another living being, I am so glad attitudes
have changed.

Mark A. Manske
Minter-Weisman Co.
Sr. Project Lead