  • Subject: Re: API to retrieve TCPIP address of the client?
  • From: Chris Rehm <javadisciple@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:53:55 -0700

Rob,
   See, that's the thing about AS/400s. They happen to be rock solid
boxes with limitless options. You can have a green screen app copy to a
shared folder or dynamically build an HTML page with either ftp or http
links written into a table, or write a little client app that issues an
SQL command to fetch a list of files and ftp the selected ones.
   Another option you have with the Java client app, you could store the
server id in the SQL table so that when your client app started it's ftp
it wouldn't have to necessarily be from the same AS/400.
   If you sit down and figure out the options for this, you realize that
by using the versatility of the AS/400 and a Java front end, your little
app could be very flexible. But I don't really know what your overall
application is. Maybe you don't need flexibility.
   But, if you store the location of the file in the table, your
resulting application can be used on additional machines for similar
purposes, and could be used against a logical join that spans multiple
servers. Stuff like that.
   But the Java app I was thinking of wasn't browser based. That would
be an applet and wouldn't have authority to ftp the file and store it on
the local machine. If you want to use a browser, you'll want to generate
html with a table loaded with the ftp or http address of the files. Not
a bad idea, but you'll need to make a decision on the method for
generating the html. A jsp is good, plus WebSphere, or any number of
other tools.
   If you decide to go with a Java application you'll need to install a
JVM on the client machine. Free and readily available, but another step.
   Distribution of the app and JVM could be accomplished via the AS/400
file system.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net