  • Subject: Re: journalling overhead
  • From: "Charly Jones" <charly301@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:40:54

I agree that this is _not_ an "interactive job," I would prefer to

think of it as a "very ugly interactive job."  How often does someone

need a rate?  More than once a day?  A little design and coding

might go a long way...

On the other hand, you may have discovered your "parakeet"

that will tell you when your disk arms are too busy.  Like the

miners that used a parakeet to warn them when the air in a mine

was getting bad, you may be able to tell how much disk queueing

backlog you have by measuring the response time on this

"read 200,000 records to get a number" routine.  I suspect that

some "other" culprit (or collection of culprits) is making

your disks busy.  Could be that journalling in the same ASP

is contributing to the problem.  Journalling in a separate ASP

might help, if you end up with enough disk arms in the journalling

ASP, and don't starve the system ASP of disk arms.  I am a big fan

of 2 and 4 gigabyte disks for this reason...

Charly Jones

Geezer in Gig Harbor