  • Subject: Re: WRKOBJLCK automated API ?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 03:50:09 EDT

Joe

You could be right.
What happens is we find WRKOBJLCK incredibly hosile.

Management won't authorize purchase of what I think is the best fix for this.
DISPLAY ACTIVE BPCS JOBS
http://www.precosis.com.au/piu1.htm

and sometimes I contemplate buying it out of my own wages & gifting it to my
employer
especially the newer version
ALSO TRANSMIT F12 etc to unattended work stations
http://www.precosis.com.au/rv1.htm

so thanks to WRKOBJLCK & a few screen refreshes we got a bunch of suspects &
we chase them off & the problem is solved, but it might have solved itself
due to other user activity between screen refreshes.

We have significantly reduced the rate of conflicts now that we are running
some updates via JOBQ, but not eliminated them entirely.

When possible I figure out what program it was that was blocked from access
& what program it was that was doing the blocking
then I dig into them to see if there are any obvious flaws that are fixable.

But I am just the one IT guy & I have a pile of other things they need doing.
So I basically able to hit the worst offenders, and continue to try to do a
better job with new code that I write.

> From: joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com (Joe Pluta)
>
>  Understood, Mac.  I was afraid of that.  While 405CD was a reasonably
>  written release, it still had tons of the record locking problems in it
>  (although I was pretty sure INV100 was NOT one of the programs that locked
>  master records).
>
>  Anyway, systemic change of 405CD to support a different technique of record
>  locking is obviously a massive undertaking.  But at the same time, a
>  systemic way of handling record lock errors isn't any easier.
>
>  Joe

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838