Sorry, this is long, but I ask any Info Center users to please read the
following and comment. I am not a fan of Info Center. I swear I have tried
to accept it, but IMHO, it is still not as good as the old softcopy library
and this frequently makes my job harder. A couple weeks ago I responded to
one of their pop-up surveys and today I got back a response. I am very
impressed at the detailed and personalized response I got, but I do not like
the answer. Following is the response from IBM, and following that is my
original comments on the survey. I removed the IBM guy's contact info
because he was good enough to give it to me.

==== Start of IBM response =======

greetings,
First, thank you for being interested enough in the iSeries Information
Center to provide comments, feedback, and suggestions.
I apologize for the delay in responding.  We have collected information
from several individuals to respond to you note.

1. Scripting for PPP profiles. IBM's direction is to provide
all iSeries information online rather than in the form of
books and manuals.  The Information Center is the prime
source for iSeries and AS/400 technical information.
Consequently, much of the technical information contained
in books such as TCP/IP Configuration and Reference
(SC41-5420) has been moved to the Information Center.

In the case of PPP, TCP/IP Configuration and Reference,
Section 4.15 entitled "Writing Connection Dialog Scripts,"
was not moved to the Information Center topic entitled
"Remote Access Services: PPP Connections," because
scripting is most often used for SLIP and less often used
for PPP.  Since PPP has become the preferred method for
point-to-point connectivity, IBM focuses on documentation
for PPP rather than SLIP.  However, if you need scripting
information relating to PPP, please refer to V4R4 of
TCP/IP Configuration and Reference.

Regarding the introduction or background information.
IBM's direction is to provide technical information as
it relates specifically to the iSeries, rather than
provide general information.  For example, Chapter 1
of TCP/IP Configuration and Reference (SC41-5420)
for V4R4 contained basic information on
TCP/IP, not specific to the iSeries; this section was
removed from TCP/IP Configuration and Reference
(SC41-5420)  for V5R1.  Since there are numerous
resources available that provide in-depth information
on TCP/PI, IBM now concentrates its documentation on
iSeries specific information.

Regarding the large list of search results, I would like
to suggest that you try the 'Advanced' search.  It allows
you to limit the scope of your search to very specific
topic areas.  Not exactly manuals, but still very narrow topics.

===== End of IBM response =====

===== Start of what IBM guy was responding to ====

This Readers' Comment came in on RCHINFOC for SC41-5420-03:

Version: V5R1M0
Current_page: http://as400bks.rochester.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v5r1/ic29
Name: Marty Urbanek
Email: marty_urbanek@stercomm.com
Phone:
Comment: I was looking for information on scripting for PPP profiles.
This information is in the V4R4 TCP/IP Config and Ref SC41-5420-03,
section 4.15.  I cannot find it anywhere for V5R1, including SC41-5420-04
I also noticed that the background information, such as Chapter 1 of
SC41-5420-03 does not seem to be present in the newer version of the
manual.
Found_all: no
Could_not_find: see above

Caused_most_difficulty: The information is not there, the search engine
produces a huge list of hits with no way to categorize them (you used to
be able to decide what the pertinent hits would be based on what manual
the hits were in).  Then when you do get there, you can never find your
way back.  The "breadcrumbs" appraoch is wordy and inconvenient.

Liked_most: Nothing. It has come a long way in the last couple years, but
it is still not as good as the old Softcopy Library.
Suggestion: Allow me to access information as if it were in a manual,
such that I can open the appropriate manual and browse through it if I
am not exactly sure what I am looking for.  Make the serach engine
categorize the hits, i.e identify what "manual" they came from.  Make the
breadcrumbs as easy to use as it used to be to tell someone what
publication number and page you were referring to.

==== End of Marty's original comment ====

So ...

Is it just me, or do others have problems with this "progress" too? They are
clearly stating that the direction is to provide less information. I for one
have found the old manuals to be a great source of necessary knowledge,
particularly the background, introduction, and general information sections,
which are being eliminated. With all the new features in OS/400, I am
frequently setting up something I haven't worked with before, and it is
helpful to get some background on what the developers thought it was
important for me to know. Now, for example, they want me to go read about
TCP/IP (or whatever) elsewhere, and then configure my AS/400. I would
usually do that anyway, but the manuals put the subject in OS/400 context,
and to me this is vital.

I do not mind being referred to older versions of the library for the
information I seek, but it seems to me that eventually these will be taken
away (from the web). Even though I have the old Softcopy Library CDROMs, the
search feature always crashed on me when I would try to search the entire
library, and that is one of the best features.

To me it seems like IBM is moving backwards with this project but they are
sticking to their guns. As usual it is a prettier user-interface offering
less usability, and I am supposed to accept that, even though it is a tool
that I use daily. It bothers me because I know they don't want to invest in
doing it the "old way", but they already have the information I am looking
for and they feel it necessary to take it away. I feel they are making my
job harder and I don't like it, but if others can show me the light, perhaps
I can amke the transition too.

I don't want to just be griping about IBM, because I think they have great
products and I have made a living on them for over 15 years, but how do you
get them to see the error in their ways? The only way I can think of is to
see if there are others that feel the same and try and bring this to their
attention. If there aren't others, then I am probably in the wrong anyway
and should just leave it alone and get used to it. Several customers
complaining always gets my attention more than one.

Please advise.

Thanks for your time.

-Marty