  • Subject: Re: backups on AS/400, objects missing -- auto-run procedures
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:05:30 EDT

Al Barsa wrote:

> ALWAYS change the default from ACCPTH (access path) from *NO to
>  *YES.  It can mean the difference of DAYS of restore time.

I am currently using SAVE-21.
Question of fact / reassurance ... does it in fact save access paths?
I am pretty sure it does.

Steven wrote:

> nobody was in any user programs (we do have
>  a domino-network-client access setup that stays up basically 24/7 but the
>  office is empty and screens are at menus... hmmm maybe there was an evoked
>  job with a msg that the lady missed, that is the only sensible thought and
it
>  might match up with the files that didn't save ..   you see that is my
> concern
>  eg... if a program is sitting with a msg in the user area and the program
> uses a couple of data files, I still want those files saved.

Are those menus strictly OS/400 menus or are they part of the application
software?
If they are application software, they could be active programs even if no
user is using them.  Unless you are going to run ENDSBS *ALL, you HAVE to get
users to sign off menus to SIGN ON SCREENs when they are done with the 400.

Depending on the application software, it can screw up your data bases to
forceably end jobs so that you can run backup.  Depending on your company, it
might not be practical to visit every remote office to figure out how to
bring down the remote sessions without data base corruption.  There are many
shareware tools to help with this situation.  One is
http://www.precosis.com.au/rv1.htm which provides remote view / safe ending
of user sessions that have not been taken to a proper conclusion.

WRKACTJOB or some variant can show you who still signed on.
5-Display job then 11-drill down programs active
If you familiar with the applications you can figure out what programs
accessing what files, even if no user is home.

Our proper conclusion problem was sharply reduced after I showed management
some articles on power use & hardware life.  If computer devices are left
powered on all the time, their life span is shorter than if they are powered
off at end of day.  Do we really need all the PCs in the building & all the
printers & display stations consuming electricity over a 3 day weekend, or a
2 day weekend for that matter?

It used to be that EVERY NITE there were 3-5 sessions left powereed on, at a
menu, or even in the middle of a program.  Today it is typically 0-2 on any
given nite ... I credit management decision to encourage shutting equipment
down at end of day as the reason for that.