  • Subject: Re: NT Server consolidation
  • From: "Chuck Morehead" <cbmorehead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:12:05 -0500

Title: NT Server consolidation
Phil,

I've not done this myself, but I was at an IBM conference not too long after the 170 was released.  They had testimony from a client that had taken a Java application that was running on 12 (if I recall correctly) NT servers and replaced them with a single 170.  The application was a web spider and they had to reboot the NT servers at least once per day, due to the less than perfect garbage collection in MS's Java implementation.  Of course the 170 did a better job, reduced administration, and did not run out of memory like the NT servers.

Now the real questions:  Was this something that the client could have done on their own?  Did IBM do a lot of work for the client because it would make a great testimonial and help them sell the 170 as a great Java server?  I don't know the answers.

Chuck