  • Subject: RE: Select first/last n rows in SQL?
  • From: "Alexei Pytel" <pytel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 15:08:17 -0500

It's not LIMIT clause, it's
FETCH FIRST n ROWs ONLY   clause

    Alexei Pytel

                    "Goodbar, Loyd

                    (AFS-Water Valley)"       To:
"'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'"
                    <LGoodbar@afs.bwaut        <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>

                    o.com>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: Select
first/last n rows in SQL?
                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    05/18/2001 02:19 PM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Yes, but I want the first 5 or last 5 items. Think about a web news site,
such as the yahoo personalized site (my.yahoo.com), showing the most recent
5 headlines. This is trivial in RPG, and could probably be done easily if
we
had the SQL development kit (on the list and in the budget) through a
cursor
and OPTIMIZE FOR x ROWS. I am looking for a method to use with RUNSQLSTM or
the QMQRY equivalence. Other databases (notably MySQL and PostgreSQL on
*NIX) have a LIMIT clause. The V5R1 reference doesn't show a limit clause,
either....

Loyd