  • Subject: Re: V5R1 upgrade
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:05:18 -0500

For one thing, it would be a violation of a nondisclosure agreement for
anyone to tell you this information.  In fact it would be a violation to
say:  'had a pre GA version of V5R1 (as we have)'.  Unless you bypassed the
nondisclosure agreements by purchasing hardware requiring V5R1 and begged
and pleaded for an early ship.  I am not sure if that nullifies the NDA's
though.
For another thing, hopefully these people would have reported these
problems and IBM would have done their best to address these situations
prior to GA.
I can give some generic advice which would apply to all releases.  Read the
'memo to users' carefully.  Most of the stuff should be in the
announcements.  For example in the memo to users for V4R5 they mentioned
programs which have been discontinued.  Follow the software installation
manual carefully.  If you are supporting multiple releases pay attention to
the 'Release to release compatibility issues'.  Do a complete system save
prior to beginning.  Make sure your software support contract with IBM is
current, and you know how to call in a problem.

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    "Carley, Neil"

                    <carleyn1@Midas-Kap        To:
"'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'" <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                    iti.com>                   cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     V5R1 upgrade

                    owner-midrange-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    05/14/01 10:34 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

Hi everyone,

I know its pretty early days still but if anyone out there has had a pre GA
version of V5R1 (as we have) and installed it I would love to hear if there
are any nasties to look out for in the upgrade process.
The box I'm upgrading is a 170 at V4R5.

thanks again

yours slightly nervous !!

Neil Carley