  • Subject: Re: Help w/ offsite backups
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 00:18:57 EDT

Well be happy someone is pushing this ... it is something I pushed for
decades at past employers who eventually grudgingly agreed to the concept &
along the way I have learned several gotchas.

If you gonna store the media in same building as computer, it is a good idea
to have some distance from computer ... suppose there is a small fire, or a
vehicle crashes into the building ... do you want all your assets & all your
backups stored physically within a few feet of each other?

I worked one place with removable disk packs.
Off site people dropped them.

We usually end up with some employee who takes the media home.
That person needs to be a computer-knowlegeable person.
Otherwise the media will sit on vehicle dash board in full sunlight, or in
trunk of car overnight in winter & you never able to explain to the people
why not do that.

Before I was weaned off diskettes, we used diskette magazines in big plastic
cases with 50 diskettes to a case.  We discovered that in Winter Time if you
slip on the Ice and fall face first into a snow bank while carrying these
things, between car & office, the ice & snow is driven into the diskette
magazines under tremendous pressure, even though they appear to be sealed
cases.

If you going to send the media by some common carrier, use some common sense
with the packaging.  How does magnetic media come to you when you order it
from some computer place?  A lot of them do not use common sense.  Talk to
the common carriers - tell them you sending magnetic media with computer
infomation stored ... how would they reccommend packaging to protect against
the stuff going through X-Ray machine at airport (it isn't the X-Rays that
kills, but the magnetic coils - just like if you lean a diskette against a
telephone, no harm until the phone rings.

If the temperature is comfortable for humans, it is comfortable for the
media, but how will it be stored when in transit?

You can have a real problem crossing international boundaries.
You do not want to be paying customs each way.
Look for delivery points at each end that are in trade free zones.

Take another look at
http://www.TechRepublic.com/forumdiscuss/thread_detail.jhtml?thread_id=17159