  • Subject: Re: Mixed Communication Methods
  • From: "Rick DuVall" <R_C_DuVall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:25:02 -0500

Hi Pat

> Anybody ever setup a VPN ??   Software and hardware requirements or
> a URL that shows this would be extra nice.....

    I am currently in the midst of setting up a vpn over dsl.  There appear
to be two ways of proceeding - either software based vpn or hardware based.
The primary difference seems to be speed - the hardware based is
considerably quicker allowing much better throughput.  I am using a unit
made by Netscreen.  It sort of works... :)  Seriously, there are some start
up problems getting my dsl provider and netscreen on the same page but I
hope we are about to get through that.

    As you probably know, the vpn encrypts and decrypts traffic between
locations, in this case, I am told, triple-des, and provides a firewall.  I
have a perle 594-e at our remote location which I am told, and hope, will be
supported.  It has all been rather a trial.  I am about chin deep right now
hoping it doesn't get much deeper - I may have to start swimming :)

> I found and downloaded a Red Book on VPN but DSL seems to remain a
> mystery around the 400....

    Our 400 has been connected through dsl (through our ethernet network for
more than a year - It's GREAT if you are in an area where you can get it.)
Got the old 400 scheduled to do all our web updates and a lot of email based
file processing - saves an awful lot of operator time.  and of course is
VERY reliable, being a 400 and all.  We are rapidly becoming seriously
addicted to dsl.

> Anybody ever setup a DSL line and used SNA type gear ???  I am
> referring to various remote controllers like a 5394 or 5494 or
> maybe a Perl ???? Can this be done ??? or are we talking routers,hubs
> and what have you ????

    We will soon know - they (my 400 parts suppliers) tell me the Perle 594e
can talk over an ethernet line (it's currently hooked up with an isdn
bridged for sna which goes down and must be reset 6 times a day) so as soon
as I get through the start up problems of the VPN that will be the first
thing I do.  My set-up is like this: Dsl router connects to VPN which
connects to the ethernet hub.  Everything (Soon to include the
aforementioned Perle) hooks into the hub, and thats it.  Of course you have
the normal decisions about whether to used fixed tcpip addresses or dhcp and
stuff like that...  The perle allegedly wraps sna in tcpip packets to route
over the network.  It may require anynet on the 400 - I just don't know yet.
We'll see....  I am very interested to see what else your question may
extract from the list - It'll probably be much more helpful than this.

> Isn't this another reincarnation of Frame Relay ????

    Never used frame relay...  Every time I checked on it it was too
expensive...

> I have been getting a few quotes on DSL,IDSL,SDSL and few other products
> but these folks are telephone types and don't have a clue about
> supported protocols....

    As far as I know all the above come with routers for Ethernet, so if you
can use ethernet you should be good to go.  I am very much a novice here,
but I am determined and the DSl/400 combination is very powerfull.

> I have an excellent understanding of the usual SDLC methods, but
> DSL and VPN are new critters to me.....

    I hope to have all this working before the end of next week - wish me
luck!
    And good luck to you!

Regards
Rick