  • Subject: RE: MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #419
  • From: "Urbanek, Marty" <Marty_Urbanek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:33:19 -0400

Dan,

I only have one machine running Ops Console. It is a 9401-150. The reason I
said "infamous" was that I have had repeated problems with Ops Console.
However, I cannot be sure the problems are really caused by Ops Console.

Sometimes the PC running Ops Console, sitting alone by itself in the
computer room, will take a hit on RASMAN.EXE (which is a M$ remote access
component used by Ops Console as I understand it). When I arrive, the
machine is sitting there with the error on the screen and the cosole is
inoperative. I have to shut down & reboot the PC to get it back. I have
talked to IBM about this and they said it is M$, but that does me no good
because you can't get M$ to fix anything. That problem has persisted through
several releases of OS/400, Client Access, and NT service packs. The worst
case is that sometimes I have had to IPL OS/400 just to get the console to
connect again. That I blame on OS/400 not going out and looking for its
console device. I have not had that problem since installing V5R1 beta, so
that is a good sign, but the RASMAN problem still exists.

Even without the RASMAN error, I have had the console not want to reconnect
during OS/400 upgrades, and that can leave you in a really crappy situation.

In my case, this is a test machine, so we can live with the problems. In
fairness, because it is a test machine, I have never put much effort into
fixing it, such as replacing PC hardware or even reinstalling NT from
scratch. Also, the PC runs SNA server which may complicate matters.

I bought Ops Console to avoid having to buy a tube and a twinax controller
and it serves its purpose. However, if I were in a production environment I
would not be satisfied. On the other hand, if I were in a production
environment, I would put a lot more effort into fixing it.

One nice thing about running Ops Console is you have a single device with
your console and Ops Navigator on it. IBM is pretty much making it
impossible to support the system without Ops Nav anyway, so we are forced to
have a PC - might as well use it for the console too.

-Marty