  • Subject: Surely OS/400 can host e-mail, can't it?
  • From: "Nathan M. Andelin" <nathanma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:16:05 -0600

I've almost got it working.  But there's probably some obvious link I'm
missing.  I've read the manuals and archives, but have reached a point of
question.

I want to host my own e-mail account, rather than rely on my ISP for hosting
services.  My AS/400 has internet access.  I've configured and started both
*SMTP and *POP.  I've added a directory entry (WRKDIRE) for my User ID.  I
can send e-mail from my AS/400 to my ISP hosted account (nandelin@haaga.com)
by using IBM's SNDDST command.  I can also use SNDDST to send e-mail to my
AS/400 hosted User ID.  My Outlook Express client can receive messages from
the AS/400 POP server as well as my ISP's POP server when the message was
sent via SNDDST.

The next thing I want to do is to send e-mail from Outlook Express to
myUser@myDomain.com (for example), and have that reach my AS/400 hosted
account.  So far, all I've got back is the "undeliverable mail" message from
my ISP's mail server.  It sounds to me like a domain name issue.

My ISP has set up a domain name entry for "mail.myCompany.com" which points
to my DSL router.  I can TELNET from my PC to port 25 of mail.myCompany.com
and get a response from my AS/400 hosted SMTP server.  But how does one get
myUser@myDomain.com to map to my AS/400 hosted e-mail account?

Thanks,

Nathan.