  • Subject: Re: Interactive vs. Batch
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 19:58:04 -0400

Booth - you won't find those same MCSE's (Microsoft Certified...) at any
user group either. The books & certification is how a pc jockey can spend
a few months & a few thousand and boost their annual pay $10k (or more).
3 years ago I worked with 15 other AS400 pgmrs. We begged them to get
certified. We bought books, training cds, had evening studies, even paid a
bonus when they passed - Only 3 or 4 were interested. How do you light a
fire under a 10-15-20 year application pgmr? You'd think it was a union
job! (with apologies to any members). And you know what? There are many
AS400
certifications worth having for your career, just like MCSE. And I think
many that have them are doing very well.
Current customer-2 as400 pgmrs, 2 net techs. 400 pgmrs maintaining
ancient code. Going nowhere fast. Network guys learned linux & w2k &
frontpage on their own after hours, and now building the corp intranet.
jim