  • Subject: Re: Did IBM finally roll out SAA with Websphere?
  • From: "Steve Richter" <srichter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:52:59 -0400

Bob, That is not an encouraging report ...  and I thought you were in
charge.

Do outside developers have all the info they need to write a 3rd party
version of webshere?, of domino?  If so, then the complaint may be best
directed toward the as400 software houses that have not invested enough in
their own products.  If not, then I think the focus should be on getting ibm
to be more open on openness.

In regard to the brakes on the interactive jobs, does anyone have info on
how that is accomplished and how it can be circumvented? Does it apply for
instance on telnet jobs? Is it controlled by the opening of a dspf?

Should lists like this be used to anonymously publish technical info on the
as400?

I think the answer is to convince ibm that it should be responsible for
providing the as400 system hardware and a core operating system that is
secure, stable and modern. The rest, areas like client access, domino,
webshere, java, firewalls and even rpg ( ile and mi are part of the core
os ) are areas that outside developers should be responsible for and ibm
should publish all the technical info needed to produce these systems.

Steve Richter

ps. dont forget Bob, if I remember correctly from the days when I used to
read your magazine, Q38,  you were opposed to one of the main components of
SAA,  the moving of the screen Exit key from F1 to F3. Look how that turned
out to be for the best !!