Greetings for Resurrection Day,

WARNING for those who may not know about this gotcha:
Just yesterday they came in here to change the batteries on our UPS:

The tech switched the "UPS Bypass Switch" to "LINE" from "UPS". Down went
everything, and all the branches, because our system went down. The system
came back very very nicely, however, my thanks to the hardware guys and
software guys at IBM.

(So no wonder we always brought down the system first... I think he hadn't
dealt a lot with the electrical support setup for these installations.)

He said, and Best Power said, that it was because power came in from the
wall at 240 volts, but went through the UPS at 206/208, and the power surge
threw the breaker on the wall by the UPS. He said, and they said, that the
voltage should be synchronized. The equipment handles it fine, and we have
had outages where the UPS kept us up (several last few months, in fact).
Just the switching over....

- Alan

> >  Someone else mentioned running RCLSTG.
> >  Would that show up in the system log if it had been run?
>
> Perhaps I have a misconception here ... I thought RCLSTG was included in
an
> IPL.

RCLSTG needs a dedicated system and lots and lots of time. I haven't done
one on the RISC systems I inherited responsibility for in Oct. '99, and
things jum along OK. It does not run at IPL, surely because it takes so much
dedicated time. It seems to me it's recommendable anyway, just to keep
things "cleaned up".