  • Subject: Re: System values vs. the registry (Was: What counts as technicallys lick?)
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:45:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Jim Damato wrote:
> (Do I dare contradict Leif Svalgaard more than once?)
>
> "Editing the registry is not much harder than fiddling with system values."
>
> Yeah, right.  Most MCSE's approach the registry with the appropriate fear
> and respect, to the extent of performing full backups before making changes.
> Someday Microsoft will take the voodoo out of registry configuration, but
> don't expect it any time soon.  When you "fiddle" with AS/400 system values
> the valid options and their documentation are built in.  Just press F4 for
> your choices and press F1 to read in great detail about the impact of your
> actions.

This is a silly argument.   OS/400 System Values and the Windows Registry
are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

The registry is a big, open ended, database that any programmer can
use to stick his settings in.   You can't document everything because
ANYONE can come along and add ANY values they want.

All the settings that are SUPPOSED to be user-changable in the registry
can be set somewhere on a nice, easy to use, graphical screen. The only
time you should have to actually change data in it manually is when
something is wrong/broken.

By contrast, the Os/400 system values are a fixed set of variables.
They can only be added by IBM.  Each one has a specific predefined
meaning.   It is INTENDED that the system be configued by editing
them directly.

So really, they are nothing alike.  Sure, they both hold system settings,
but the similarity ends there!