  • Subject: Re: Calling a stored procedure.
  • From: afvaiv <afvaiv@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:22:50 +0200

Rob,
let me try to help you as for your initial question (below).

I see from your code, you try to call a stored procedure from withing an RPG
program.
No problem for that. BUT... , sometime ago I had posted a similar question, the
main point was
HOW TO RECEIVE a RESULT SET... being returned from the stored procedure I was
calling.

Someone answered (don't remember who...) that CAN ' T BE DONE unless you use
CLI programming...

Since nobody else answered, I assumed that was true, so...

At that time I did not had the faintest idea what that was like, but looked
into Redbook "Who
Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer’s Guide to System Access and
More SG24-5402-00"
. It includes a Library "RPGISCOOL" with quite a number of examples of many
different topics.
One of them is CLI programming.

It was not easy for me to start with, but based in the code provided with quite
a number of
modifications,  sometime later I managed to get a set of some programs up and
running to use as
"skeletons" for future real programs. A pair of these programs (the ones I
created) do more of
less what I mentioned , i.e. RPG program A ( "CLI" ...) calls a procedure
(normal SQL RPG
program B) that will return a result set, so the original program A can read
it...

I presume there should be no difference whether the result set comes from a SQL
search (in my
case) of from a ARRAY FOR xxx ROWS (in your case).

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me off line if you need additional info.