  • Subject: Re: What About Price vs. Performance?
  • From: "Leif Svalgaard" <leif@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:14:36 -0500

From: Joe Pluta <joepluta@plutabrothers.com>

> Not until you show me a business server that does the job better, Leif.  It
makes absolutely no sense to me to make my server-side code portable at the
cost of performance, just for the sake of being portable.  That's a red
herring and a losing game, and it cost some major companies their livelihood
(look at System Software Associates).

Joe,

We approach this from different sides. You from the developer's and I from
the customer's.
It does make sense to make a major application portable (and it does not mean
automatically
poorer performance). Is it not you that keep telling me that your Java stuff
will run ANYWHERE
and that that is a benefit?

If your back-end is also portable you can sell your application to customers
who do not
wish to run a antiquated equipment (before you flame me: "perceived
antiquated"). You
narrow your market by not being portable.

The reason many companies fail trying to make portable applications is that
they
often do it wrong. The classical mistake is to achieve "portability" by using
COPY
books, or #ifdefs, of header files,... This is unmanageable. As you well know
you achieve
portability by going through well-defined interfaces at the correct divisions
into tiers.

Leif